What you should NOT Do and what you should DO with your hair.
Hair Care Do's and Dont's
Hair Care Dont's
What you should NOT Do with your Hair
1. Do not perform any chemical treatments without consulting a hair professional prior to it.
2. Make sure not to wash you hair, comb or scratch it before applying any chemicals.
3. Do not use hair relaxer and a tint on the same day - wait more than a week to do so.
4. To re-apply a hair relaxer again - wait at least 6 weeks.
5. To re-apply a hair perm – wait for 12 weeks to pass since your last application.
6. Be extra careful using a curling/flat iron on chemically-treated hair (always use a heat-protection products).
7. Do not use flat or curling irons if your have damaged hair.
8. Towel-dry your hair or let it air-dry before using a blow-dryer. Never use it on completely wet hair.
9. Do not use sponge rollers: they absorb all styling products from your hair as well as moisture.
10. When sleeping with rollers on your hair do not leave it uncovered so they will touch the pillow - it may tear, pull, and weaken your hair.
11. When shopping for hair brushes do not buy a plastic ones. Brushes made from natural materials like wood or boar bristle are the best.
12. Do not sleep with any plastic caps on your hair, especially if you have a permanent wave: your hair and skin simply can't breathe and may become rancid.
13. When shopping around for wool hats do not buy any without silk lining inside.
14. Avoid using uncovered rubber bands on your hair.
15. Do not use artificial hair or any other hair extensions - stop damaging your hair. Find an appropriate treatment instead.
16. Ask your doctor if you're planning to use strong chemicals on your hair.
Hair Care Do's
This is what you should Do with your Hair
1. Get a professional hair analysis to discover your hair problems, and find the right products for your hair type and needs of your scalp.
2. Never skip applying a hair conditioner, especially after chemical services.
3. If you have a sensitive scalp always apply oil it prior to chemical services.
4. Use a leave-in conditioner applied to damp hair to protect and treat your hair throughout a day to lock-in the moisture and seal the cuticle for more shine and protection from everyday stresses.
5. Let your hair stylist know about any medications you take prior to chemical service.
6. Go for haircuts or simple trim every time you get a chemical service done; it will help eliminating split ends and freshes-up your style.
7. If wrapping your hair always choose a silk wrap: it gives your hair more shine, eliminates fly-aways, and won’t damage your hair.
8. Wash your hair every time after swimming to eliminate chlorine and salt damage to your hair; buy a special after-swimming shampoo.
9. Never leave your hair uncovered when sun-bathing - use a protective cream or spray with SPF - your hair and scalp need protection too! Apply these protective products before going outside. Re-apply several times a day, especially after swimming or every four hours.
10. Always shampoo your hair after working out or after any excessive sweating: the salt from perspiration may damage your hair and scalp.
11. Do not forget to cover your hair when go in the sauna. Heat may cause a serious damage and erosion.
12. If you have natural non-treated hair still use a good-quality shampoos for your hair type and matching conditioners as well as leave-in products to protect your hair from everyday stresses caused by the environment.
13. If you have a very dry hair you might need more care than just a good professional shampoo and conditioner. Consult your hair care specialist to choose the right hair treatments such as masks/vials/crèmes/sprays or oils to bring your hair back to life.
14. Ask your doctor for any vitamin supplements you might need to take in order to keep you hair healthy and full.
Hair care tips for Braids and Twists:
1. Wait for three to four weeks of new growth before braiding.
2. Apply Better Braids to your scalp.
3. Shampoo and condition your twisted hair every 2 weeks.
4. Do not wear braids for more than 8 weeks.
5. When removing braids leave it undone for a day/night and apply coconut or jojoba oil to your hair generously.
6. Treat your hair with protein masks and shampoos to repair it.