One of the major side effects of colder weather is dry, chapped lips. When winter rolls around, your lips that were plump and pretty all summer long are suddenly dried, cracked and flaky. But you don’t have to live with chapped lips throughout the winter. Take action against the cold weather’s attack on your lips with these 5 tips:
- Don’t lick your lips. While licking your lips might cause some temporary relief for dryness, it actually ends up drying your lips even more as soon as the saliva evaporates. If your lips are feeling dry, opt for a moisturizing lip balm instead.
- Stay hydrated. It might not be as instinctive to drink water during the winter as it is in the summer, but hydrating during the cold months is still important. You can still become dehydrated during the winter, so make sure you are getting about eight glasses of water a day.
- Regularly apply a hydrating lip ointment. Lip balms and petroleum-based products like Vaseline are a great solution to dry lips. For a deep-penetrating lip moisturizer, try LipSmart Ultra Hydrating Lip Treatment. The patented LipSmart formula not only hydrates lips, but it also stimulates collagen production, facilitating the creation of new cells to give you stronger, fuller lips.
- Gently exfoliate your lips. You don’t want to use anything extremely harsh, but a gentle exfoliator followed up by a moisturizing lip treatment can greatly help your lips to recoup overnight.
- Keep a humidifier going when you’re home. The dryness of the air can really work against you, especially during the winter months. Running a humidifier when you’re hope, particularly when you’re sleeping, will help your lips retain moisture.
Have a tip for keeping lips luscious during the winter? Leave us a note in the comments! And remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more beauty tips and upcoming Fashion and Beauty Store deals.